Slide background
Slide background

Get in touch

+30 698 0606 507

info@antiparosholidays.com

Antiparos

The Castle of Antiparos was built at the start of the 1440s. This is the time at which the island came into the hands of Maria Somaripa, who married the nobleman Lorentano.

Lorentano brought farmers to Antiparos at his own expense, and built the castle near the sea to protect them from the frequent pirate raids. In its first form the Castle was a square complex of houses with an interior courtyard and a circular tower in the center. The exterior walls of the houses are forming the outer wall of the Castle, which although it has been undergoing alterations and some changes, parts of it still remain. In the location of the central tower, which functioned as the residence of the local noble, stands only the base. At that time there were 24 two storied houses inside the castle, 24 one storied houses at Zopyrgos and 16 two storied houses in the inner zone. If there were 4-5 people for each dwelling, there must have been some 500 in all.

The only entrance to the Castle was and is still located in the north of the central square of Agios Nikolaos.

After Lorentano, Domenico Pisani took over in 1480, but the Lorentano family returned in 1537. The same year the castle fell into the hands of the well-known pirate, Barbarossa. The island passed completely into the Ottoman empire in 1556.

From 1770-1774 Antiparos was held by the Russians, as was Paros. In 1794, a gang of Maiots and Cephallonias slaughtered the inhabitants and the island was deserted for a time. In 1821 the island took an active part in the revolution against the Turks.

The castle of Antiparos is a rare architectural creation and the set where the awarded movie “Mandalena” was filmed. It is not just one building, but a group of organized buildings and well-organized groupings of houses that remains one of the most interesting medieval structures in the Aegean Sea. Take some time to visit the Castle just off the village square: You will be embraced by history, as people have lived among these houses for more 500 years. 

Kastro, which means Castle in Greek, is also another name given to Antiparos

.